Animal boarding

Any premises, including a private home, used for the business of housing other people's cats or dogs is described as an Animal Boarding Establishment. Any person running such an establishment needs a licence under the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963.

Boarding establishments are inspected by council officers, veterinary surgeons and East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service. Conditions are attached to licences controlling the standards of accommodation and animal welfare. Licences run for one year from the date that they are granted

Licence application forms & notes


Licence Conditions

Return your application forms to:

Animal Welfare
Brighton & Hove City Council
2nd Floor Bartholomew House
Bartholomew Square

If you have any queries contact: