Good health & safety in the workplace is good business
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) state that in 2009/10 23.4 million working days were lost overall, 9.8 million due to stress, depression or anxiety, 9.3 million due to musculoskeletal disorders.
Accidents and ill health caused by work cost time and money. Preventing these can help your business save money.
The HSE website contains comprehensive information and advice on a wide range of health and safety topics. Information includes free leaflets and guidance available to download , as well as details of priced publications.
Their Better Business section is specifically designed to help small and medium businesses implement good working practices that will acheive cost savings through a safer, healthier workplace.
Details of some of the safety campaigns that Brighton & Hove Council are involved in can be found on our webpages
Advice for employers
As an employer you have a responsibility for the health and safety of your employees. You are also responsible for any visitors to your workplace such as customers, suppliers and the general public.
- Assessing risk is the key to effective health and safety in your workplace. This means nothing more than a careful examination of what, in your work, could cause harm to people, so that you can weigh up whether you have taken enough precautions or should do more to prevent harm.
- Remember to involve your employees. These are the people most at risk of having accidents, or experiencing ill health and they also know the most about the jobs that they do. So they are in the best position to help you develop safe systems of work that are effective in practice.
- A simple risk assessement guide produced by the HSE entitled 5 steps to risk assessment [PDF 664 kb] will help you to assess your workplace.
Businesses employing five or more people
For businesses employing five or more people, there must be:
- a record of the risk assessment findings and the controls you have put in place to manage any hazards, and
- a formal health and safety policy, including arrangements to protect your employees health and safety
- An introduction to health & safety [PDF 715 kb] produced by the HSE, will provide you with the information you need to complete your health & safety policy.
Contact the team
For more information about health & safety contact the Health & Safety Team:
- Phone: (01273) 294429
- Email email@example.com
or visit Bartholomew House, Bartholomew Square, Brighton, BN1 1JPStreet map: Bartholomew Square