Opening a food stall in a market
If you run or intend to open a market stall, you must comply with food hygiene legislation.
We have guidance that covers all the food hygiene legislation, including trading standards law.
The main topics covered are:
- registration of food premises (download a registration form)
- transport of food
- water supply and washing facilities
- storage and display of food
- temperature control
- design and cleanliness
- personal hygiene
- waste storage
- trading laws: food labelling, pricing, weights and measures
The following guidance available for download provides more information on the above topics
- Food Safety Guidance for Farmers' Markets [PDF 50kb]
- Food Guidance for French Market Traders [PDF 69kb]
- Rules for Food Hygeine for Stalls at Outdoor Events [PDF 54kb]
For more tips and advice on food safety & hygiene see our Food Safety Guidance Page.
Find out more about street trading and local markets.
You can also request a copy from the Food Safety Team. Call 01273 292161 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.