Food Safety Training
Principles of Food Safety in Catering (Level 2) training
Our course lasts a full day and costs £69 until April 2019 when there will be a small price increase to £70.
If you're unemployed or on a low income, you could be eligible for free training. Contact our Community Learning Team for more information.
The Principles of Food Safety in Catering (Level 2) course is fully accredited. Our courses are high quality, fun, interactive and great value for money.
The course fee includes registration, food hygiene handbook, exam entry, certificate and refreshments.
How to book your place
There are spaces available on the following dates:
- 1 November 2019
- 3 December 2019
- 17 January 2020
- 25 February 2020
- 7 April 2020
- 26 May 2020
- 14 July 2020
- 1 September 2020
- 13 October 2020
- 1 December 2020
Please contact the Food Safety Team for further information, or to pay for a course by debit/credit card, on 01273 294 416 or 294 491.
Please contact us to check and confirm availability on the above dates before submitting an application form for Principles of Food Safety in Catering (Level 2) (MS Word 56.58KB).
We can also provide details of food hygiene training in other languages.
Our trainers have been described as 'excellent and funny', 'brilliant!', 'fantastic trainer, interesting and entertaining' and our presentations, activities and workshops are consistently rated as 'very useful'.
Our food hygiene training is engaging and easy to understand, which helps candidates remember and apply what they have learnt.
Help is available for candidates who do not have English as a first language. We have a high pass rate.
Why you need this training
The law requires anyone running a food business to ensure that their food handlers are given adequate training. Our training will help you improve food safety in your business, give assurance to your customers and protect you from expensive legal action or compensation claims. Food Safety Officers test food handlers' knowledge during inspections.
Having competent, qualified staff can help you to improve the food hygiene rating of your business, enhancing your reputation and giving you the edge over competitors. Investing in quality training for your employees can improve morale and reduce staff turnover, saving you money and time in the long run.
Why our courses are better than online training
Personal, interactive face-to-face training is the best way for your employees to learn, and also retain important food safety information. The benefits of our courses include:
- the opportunity to ask questions: general ones about the subject or specific queries about your business, and get practical answers that will work for you
- we limit numbers on courses so that each person gets the help and attention they need
- our courses are accredited and audited, so you can be assured of their quality and content
- learning from other participants on the course: tips to improve your business and networking opportunities, you might even meet some potential new customers
- trainers that adapt the training content to the specific needs of the participants
- focussed learning without other distractions
What the course consists of
The Principles of Food Safety in Catering (Level 2) course run by the council consists of six hours of tuition on food hygiene. It covers the following subjects:
- costs of poor hygiene
- food poisoning and food-borne diseases
- how germs grow in food
- contamination of food
- prevention of food poisoning
- improving personal hygiene
- storage and temperature control
- preparation, cooking and cooling of food
- construction and design of food premises
- cleaning and disinfecting
- pest control
- food hygiene law requirements
- control of food safety risks
- hazard analysis
- allergies and food intolerances
'In house' training for groups may be available in some circumstances.
City College Brighton also run an Intermediate Food Hygiene course. This course is recommended for food handlers who have a supervisory role, for example Head Chefs and managers. Further details can be found on the City College Brighton website.
Level 3 Award in Food Safety in Catering
Funded Level 3 training in Food Safety is available at Brighton Swimming School. They also offer other courses in Health and Safety in the Workplace and First Aid in the Workplace.
For more information please phone 01273 434 400 and choose option2, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org