Small business rate relief (SBRR)
Small Business Rate Relief (SBRR)
You won't pay Business Rates on a property with a rateable value of £12,000 or less. Properties with a rateable value between £12,001 and £14,999 will receive a sliding scale of relief from 100% to 0%.
For example, you will get a 50% discount if your rateable value is £13,500.
The following do not qualify for SBRR:
- empty properties
- charities already receiving an 80% reduction
If you occupy more than one property
You can still have SBRR on your main property for 12 months after taking on a second property.
After this, you can keep getting SBRR on the main property as long as any additional properties have a rateable value below £2,900 and the total rateable value of all your properties is less than £20,000.
Change of circumstances
If you are receiving SBRR, you must tell us within 28 days if:
- you take on another property
- any of your properties become unoccupied
- the rateable value of your other properties increases above £2,900
- the collective value of your rateable values increases above £20,000
Can SBRR be backdated?
Yes, your SBRR can be backdated as far as 1 April 2012.