City Plan Part 2 Main Modifications consultation
Public consultation on the proposed Main Modifications ended on 5 May.
We have sent the Main Modification consultation comments to the Inspector. Go to our Examination documents from the council page to view:
- The Main Modification Consultation Statement with a summary of main issues raised in the comments (BHCC52ai)
- The consultation comments in Respondent order (BHCC52bi)
- The consultation comments in Plan (Main Modification) order (BHCC52bii)
Purpose of the consultation
Following the examination hearings in November 2021, the Inspector wrote to the council. Her Post Hearing Action Note (INSP09) sets out the proposed changes or Main Modifications needed to ensure the City Plan Part 2 is legally compliant and passes the government’s tests of ‘soundness’.
The Inspector asked that we consult on these proposed Main Modifications (MMs). The proposed MMs are put forward without prejudice to the Inspector’s final conclusions. Members of the TECC Committee at their 10 March meeting approved these MM for public consultation.
The Schedule of Proposed Main Modifications (BHCC44) sets out the specific changes to the wording of certain policies and supporting text of the City Plan Part 2.
Changes are needed to how the City Plan Part 2 will be shown on the Policies Map. These are set out in a separate schedule (BHCC48).
We also proposed additional modifications to the City Plan Part 2. These are non-consequential changes and are not necessary for soundness. These changes make the Plan clearer and provide factual updates but don’t materially affect the implementation of the plan policies. These are set out in a Schedule of Additional Modifications (BHCC49) which was available as part of the consultation.
Where to view the Main Modifications and other consultation documents
Go to our Examination documents from the council page to view:
- BHCC44 Schedule of Proposed Main Modifications to City Plan Part 2 February 2022
- BHCC45 Sustainability Appraisals Addendum Proposed Modifications February 2022
- BHCC46 Sustainability Appraisal Non-Technical Summary February 2022
- BHCC47 HEQIA Addendum Proposed Modifications February 2022
- BHCC48 Schedule of Modifications to Policies Map February 2022
- BHCC49 Schedule of Additional Modifications February 2022
A tracked change version of the City Plan Part 2 (BHCC50) showing the Main Modifications is also available.
Read paper copies of the consultation documents at:
- Brighton Customer Service Centre, Bartholomew House, Bartholomew Square, Brighton, BN1 1JE (open from 9am to 4:30pm from Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays)
- City libraries during normal opening hours - BHCC45 and BHCC47 are only available to read at Brighton Customer Service Centre, Jubilee, Hove and Portslade libraries
When consultation took place
Consultation took place between Thursday 17 March 2022 and 11:59pm Thursday 5 May 2022.
Only those representations made through the online consultation portal, by email or writing which arrived at the address specified within the specified consultation period will have a right to be considered by the Inspector.
Read the council's formal notice of the representations procedure and availability of documents (BHCC51).
The Inspector will consider all the representations made on the proposed MMs before finalising the examination report and the schedule of recommended MMs. Normally, all issues arising from the consultation on the MMs should be capable of being considered through the written representations procedure. Further hearing sessions will only be necessary exceptionally.
Read the privacy notices for the Main Modifications consultation: