Rules for employers

All employers have to follow national child employment rules, which protect children's rights.

In Brighton & Hove employers also have to follow Local employment laws (PDF 49KB).

Employers need to apply for permission to employ a child if they want to employ a child of school age.

School age lasts until the last Friday in June of the school year in which the child becomes 16 years old.

Work children can do

A child who is between 13 and 16 years old can:

  • deliver newspapers and leaflets
  • work in a shop, including stacking shelves
  • work in an office
  • do hairdressing
  • work in a café or restaurant, but not in the kitchen 
  • work in hotels and other places offering accommodation

When children can work

Children need to be at least 13 years old to work part-time, unless they work in TV, film, theatre or modelling.

Children can't work for more than 4 hours without a break.

Maximum hours children can work are listed below. 

  Age 13 to 14 Age 15 to 16
School days 2 hours 2 hours
Saturdays 5 hours 8 hours
Sundays 2 hours 2 hours
Term time 12 hours per week 12 hours per week
School holidays 5 hours per day

25 hours per week
8 hours per day

35 hours per week

More information

Get more information about child employment and working hours for children on the GOV.UK website.

For more information or to apply for a child employment licence, please contact the CIEE Officer.


Phone: 01273 291 378