Apply to store and sell fireworks on your premises

You need a licence to store fireworks on your business premises for the year and sell them on the allowed dates.

Why you need a licence to store fireworks

You need a licence to store and sell fireworks on any premises under the Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations 2014.

The law states that any businesses that stocks explosives must register with the local authority.

You must apply for a licence to store up to 2,000kg (net explosives content) of fireworks or explosives at a premises.

When you can sell fireworks

The licence lets you store explosives all year, but you can only sell fireworks during the following time periods:

  • 15 October to 10 November
  • 26 December to 31 December
  • on the first day of the Chinese New Year and the 3 days before it
  • on the day of Diwali and the 3 days before it

If you want to sell fireworks at other times, please contact us for advice because you'll need another licence.

For more information see our fireworks storage and sales guide, or visit the HSE website pages for storing and selling fireworks.

We'll inspect premises (often with the local fire service), to make they meet safety conditions before we issue your licence.

How long it takes to process your application

Processing new applications takes more time and resources than renewing existing licences. Please send applications for new licences to as soon as possible after we begin accepting applications in August.

Make sure we have your application by 1 October at the latest. We’re unlikely to authorise any applications sent after this date.

Get more information on firework displays with the HSE's guidance to giving your own firework display.

Firework licence fees

All fees are set by the Health and Safety Executive. You can view these fees on

Licence to store explosives where no minimum separation distance or a 0 metres separation distance is prescribed.