Cook high risk foods safely
Cook rice safely
We see rice as a high risk food. It can support the growth of bacteria that cause food poisoning. Follow these steps to serve safe rice.
- always wash hands after using the toilet
- keep cuts and other injuries covered
Preparation and cooking
- wash rice thoroughly, and only use clean equipment
- never use the same containers for raw and cooked rice
- cool small quantities and serve fresh, if possible
- never store rice at room temperature, cool it quickly and put in the fridge
- if rice is cold, keep the temperature below 8°C
- if rice is hot, keep the temperature above 63°C
- if you reheat rice from cold, make sure the rice reaches at least 75°C
- use a thermometer to check the temperature
If you have any questions, phone 01273 292 161 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.