What information you'll need before you start your application

Please make sure you have the following information available before your start your application.

  • your invitation to apply reference if the council has sent you one
  • business or company details:
    • registered company number - if applicable
    • VAT number - if applicable
  • monthly outgoings:
    • rent or mortgage
    • lease hire expenditure
    • any other significant fixed costs related to your premises
  • if you pay Business Rates directly to the council:
    • Business Rates account number for each property
    • rateable value for each property
    • details of any other parties named jointly on your bill
  • If you do not pay Business Rates directly to the council:
    • name, address and contact details of the person or business you pay rent to
    • market licence number - if applicable
  • bank details 
    • account number and sort code
  • supporting documentation will need to be uploaded. This includes:
    • a bank statement dated within the last 3 months for your business bank account, held in the name of the business that you are claiming for
    • if you’re a sole trader and don’t have a business account, a bank statement dated within the last 3 months for the personal bank account you use for business purposes

Under the new government requirements, you will also need to provide your Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code and Unique Taxpayer Reference number.

You can find your SIC code on the Companies House website.

There are three ways to find your code on the Companies House pages:

  • use the Find Company Information link on the home page. Type in your company name or registration number
  • look through the list to find the 5 digit code against your type of business
  • use the search facility for your type of business activity

Businesses which aren’t limited companies will need to choose the closest one from the website.

The Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) is a 10-digit number which you can find on previous tax returns and other documents from HMRC, for example:

  • notices to file a return
  • payment reminders

You can also find your UTR in your Personal Tax Account if you’re registered for Self Assessment.

More information about how to find your UTR is on the gov.uk website.