Help with business rates for small businesses
Find out if your business qualifies for Small Business Rate Relief (SBRR) and apply online.
Small Business Rate Relief (SBRR)
If your business property has a rateable value of £12,000 or less, you don't need to pay any business rates.
For properties with a rateable value of £12,001 to £15,000, the SBRR discount will go down gradually from 100% to 0%.
For example, if your rateable value is £13,500, you'll get 50% off your business rates bill.
Empty properties and charities that already get an 80% discount don't qualify for SBRR.
If you use more than one property
When you get a second property, you'll keep getting any existing rate relief on your first property for 12 months.
You can still get rate relief on your first property after 12 months if:
- none of your other properties have a rateable value above £2,899 and
- the total rateable value of all your properties is less than £20,000
SBRR can't be awarded if you move into more than one business property on the same date.
Tell us about a change
If you get SBRR, you need to tell us within 28 days if:
- you take on another business property
- any of your business properties become unoccupied
- the rateable value of any of your extra properties rises above £2,900
- the total value of all your properties rises above £20,000
You can use our online form to tell us about a change.