Help for small businesses
You could get Small Business Rate Relief if your business property's rateable value is less than £15,000.
Help for charities
You'll usually get an automatic 80% discount on your business rates bill if your business property is used as a charity or a Community Amateur Sports Club.
You can also print and fill in our charity relief form (PDF 55KB) to apply for for a 100% discount, but we have limited funds and cannot award the help to everyone.
Send your completed form to:
Brighton & Hove City Council
PO box 2929
Or you can email a scanned version of the form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help for retail properties
You could qualify for 75% off your business rates bill from 1 April 2023, up to a total of £110,000 if your business is mainly being used:
- as a shop, restaurant, café, bar, pub, cinema or live music venue
- for meeting up and leisure
- as a hotel, b&b or self-catering accommodation
Here are some examples of businesses that would also fall within the criteria:
- gyms, sports clubs, spas, casinos
- museums, art galleries and theatres
- caravan parks
- night clubs and club houses
- car show rooms
- Petrol stations
- Travel agents
- Dry cleaners and launderettes
- Funeral Directors
More examples can be found on the government’s guidance document. Your bill will automatically be updated with the discount if you qualify.
Retail Discount is also available for previous financial years if your business is a:
- restaurant, café, bar or pub
- cinema or music venue
- hospitality or leisure business - for example, a gym, a spa, a casino or a hotel
If you were eligible during previous years but did not receive your discount at the time, you could get:
- 100% off your business rates bills for the 2020 to 2021 tax year (1 April 2020 to 31 March 2021)
- 100% off your business rates bills for the first 3 months of the 2021 to 2022 tax year (1 April 2021 to 30 June 2021)
- 66% off your business rates bills for the rest of the 2021 to 2022 tax year (1 July 2021 to 31 March 2022) - up to a total value of £2 million
- 50% off your business rates bills for 2022 to 2023 tax year (1 April 2022 to 31 March 2023)
You can find more information on retail discount on the GOV.UK website. If you did not receive the retail discount but believe you were entitled, contact the Business Rates team.
Help for empty properties
You may be entitled to help for empty and partly occupied properties for a limited amount of time.