The Black Rock rejuvenation project will greatly improve the environment and infrastructure of the eastern seafront.
It will also provide upgrades that will promote greener travel and improve connectivity between the eastern seafront, Black Rock and Brighton Marina.
The council is leading the scheme with funding from Coast to Capital Local Enterprise Partnership.
This website includes the latest information on how the scheme is progressing and detailed information about the improvements we're making.
Future proposals for Black Rock will be shaped by consultation and through a development brief which will be prepared this year. Councillors will decide on the final brief which will guide any future proposals.
We're always happy to discuss ideas for the site and welcome the interest of Brighton Bears basketball team. Their ambitions to bring the Bears back to the city was reported in the local media in April 2021.
Whilst we're not yet ready to receive formal proposals, as we cannot prejudge what the consultation process will produce, we look forward to making progress and will post updates on our website.
The scheme will feature:
- improved connectivity between the eastern seafront and Brighton Marina
- a new play area and a seafront classroom
- highways upgrades, helping to promote green travel
- improved biodiversity and a new ecology trail and beach boardwalk
- renovated historic buildings (The Old Reading Room and Temple)
- clearing invasive shrubs to allow native species to return
- new public toilets
- temporary pump track and sports court
- public art
- a new sea defence wall
- preparing the Black Rock site for future redevelopment