Give notice of your intention to get married or form a civil partnership

A marriage or civil partnership is a legal contract between you and your partner. You will need to sign a legal statement to say you intend to get married or form a civil partnership. This is called 'giving notice'. You will need to confirm the venue you have booked before you can give notice.

How to give notice

You need to book an appointment at your local register office to give notice of marriage or civil partnership. 

You must have lived in the district where you are giving notice for at least 9 days. If you live in Brighton & Hove, your register office is Brighton Town Hall. 

You and your partner will need to give notice separately if you live in different registration districts. You do not have to do this on the same day. You can find your local register office on GOV.UK. 

You need to give notice at least 29 days before your ceremony or registration can take place. You can give notice up to 12 months in advance

If you are travelling from another country for the purpose of marriage or civil partnership we will need to see proof of your date of arrival, for example a stamp in your passport, boarding pass or similar. 

If you're from outside the EU, EEA or from Switzerland, the process is different. 

What happens at the appointment

To make sure that you are both legally free to marry or register a civil partnership, we will interview you separately. The appointment will last approximately half an hour. We will ask simple questions about yourself and each other. 

Please bring an interpreter to the appointment if you don't understand English. Your partner is not allowed to translate for you.

What you will need to bring to your appointment at Brighton Town Hall

Please bring one of the following documents to prove your identity, age and nationality:

  • valid passport
  • valid EEA ID card
  • valid Home Office travel document

Please bring one of the following documents to prove your residency:

  • most recent Council Tax bill
  • a utilities bill (3 months old or less)
  • a bank or building society statement (1 month old or less)
  • a valid UK driving licence 

Find more information on giving notice at GOV.UK

The cost of giving notice

It costs £35 per person to give notice of marriage or civil partnership.

The fee is £47 per person if either of you are from outside the EU, EEA or Switzerland and both of the following apply:

  • you need a visa to live in the UK
  • you do not have a Marriage or Civil Partnership visa or a family visa

We will take payment at the time of booking your appointment. Failure to attend the appointment or bring proof of identity and residency will result in a penalty charge.

Book your appointment

To book phone 01273 292 016 or email