Convert a civil partnership to a marriage

Arrange a standard conversion or book a conversion ceremony at Brighton Town Hall or an approved venue.

How to convert a civil partnership into a marriage

You can convert your civil partnership into a marriage if you registered it in England or Wales. 

There are two ways to convert a civil partnership into a marriage:

  •  a simple administrative process called a 'standard conversion'.
  •  a two-stage process where you will have a conversion and ceremony

Standard conversion

A standard conversion is a simple administrative process. You will both attend an appointment at any register office. You will complete a declaration with details about you and your civil partnership.

You will need to bring:

  • evidence of your name and date of birth (current passports or birth certificates)
  • evidence of your address (recent Council Tax or utilities bill)
  • your original civil partnership certificate 

A legal declaration will be drawn up for you both to sign with the Superintendent Registrar.

If you wish, you can choose to say the declaration wording aloud to one another before signing the conversion document. Your marriage is then registered and a marriage certificate will be issued. 

Conversion followed by a ceremony

There are two stages to this conversion:

  1. the standard conversion appointment
  2. followed by a ceremony

The ceremony can take place at:

  • Brighton Town Hall
  • approved venues
  • religious buildings that are registered for the marriage of same sex couples
  • premises where a ceremony according to the Jewish faith of the Society Friends is to immediately follow the conversion

Following the ceremony your marriage is registered and a marriage certificate is issued. 

What are our costs and fees

Fees for ceremonies vary depending on the venue you have chosen.

To see our fees go to our Fees and cancellations for ceremonies page

Arrange a conversion from civil partnership to a marriage

If you would like more information on converting your civil partnership, email or phone 01273 292 016