Apply for a copy of a birth certificate
Find out how to apply for a copy of a birth certificate, how much it costs and how to obtain certificates from outside of Brighton & Hove.
Anyone can apply for a copy of a birth certificate for a birth in Brighton & Hove as long as you know some important about the birth, including:
- date of birth
- place of birth
- full names of the person at birth (if the person is known to have been legally adopted please phone 01273 292016 for advice)
- father's full names
- mother's full names
- mother's maiden surname
Our standard service costs £11. Certificates will be issued after 15 working days by second class post.
We also offer a 24 hour priority service if you require a certificate urgently. This costs £35. Priority applications must be made by midday for next day delivery.
The easiest way to apply is using our online birth certificate application form.
You will need to pay for the certificate at the time of application.
Apply by phone
You can apply for a birth certificate by phoning the register office:
You will need:
- details of the person whose birth certificate you are applying for (as listed above)
- a daytime contact phone number where you can easily be reached, in case we need to contact you
- to pay for the certificate at the time of application
Please phone 01273 292 016 during opening hours:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 9:30am to 12 noon
- Wednesday: 10am to 12 noon
Obtain certificates from elsewhere
We only hold records of births, marriages, civil partnerships and deaths which occurred in Brighton & Hove. If you wish to apply for a certificate from anywhere else in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland you may find the following links useful: