Your new home

This guide helps you get started with your social housing tenancy. 

Social housing is provided by housing associations (not-for-profit organisations that own, let, and manage rented housing) or local councils. As a social tenant, you rent your home from the housing association or council, who are your landlord.

Social housing provides long term tenancies for private renters, allowing you security and the chance to put down roots.

The first step is to apply to join the housing register. If accepted, you can then view available council properties.

After you've joined the housing register, you can make a bid on the Homemove site. This lets us know you're interested in an advertised council property.

This guide will help you know what to expect if your bid is successful.

How to contact us 

If you need any help, contact the Homemove team who will assist with enquiries and housing association transfers.

Call 01273 294 400 - choose option 2 and hold to hear choices, or send an email to

When your tenancy starts, a council officer will help you with anything you’re not sure about.