Reduce your benefit overpayment

Sometimes we can reduce the amount you need to pay back if your details weren't up to date at the time of the overpayment

About underlying entitlement

Underlying entitlement is any benefit you should have received if the details of your claim were correct at the time you were overpaid benefit.

For example, if your Jobseeker's Allowance stops because you start work but you don't tell us for 2 months, you could be overpaid.

At a later date, you send us evidence of your income which shows you should have received more Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction for those 2 months.

We'd then provide underlying entitlement and reduce your overpayment by the amount of benefit you should have received.

Contact us

For more information you can call us on 01273 292 000 or send an email to