Appeal against a benefit decision

If you disagree with a decision we've made about your benefit claim, you can challenge it

How to make a benefits appeal

You can appeal if you are:

  • the claimant
  • someone who the claimant has chosen to act for them
  • someone who is being held responsible for paying back an overpayment
  • a landlord, if the decision is that we can't pay the tenant's benefit to you

If you're acting on someone's behalf, we must have signed authority for you to do so.

Email us at within one month of the date the decision was made. This is the date shown on the letter we sent you about the decision.

You can also write to us at:

Benefits Service
Brighton & Hove City Council
PO Box 2929

Include evidence to support your appeal. For example, if you think we've worked out your earnings incorrectly, give us proof of your correct earnings.

We'll review your appeal and write back to you to explain what we've decided and what you can do next.