Benefits (discretionary payments) - Apply for help to pay removal costs

Use this form to apply for help to pay your rent in advance before moving.

To apply you need to have:

  • a current claim for housing benefit or the Housing Cost Element of Universal Credit
  • already found somewhere to move to
  • reached an agreement with the prospective landlord or agent

You'll also need to provide

  • your National Insurance number
  • three quotes directly from van hire or removal companies - we can't accept any quotes through comparison sites
  • proof of the new tenancy, such as a tenancy agreement or letter from the landlord
  • bank printouts for all accounts held (including savings and secondary accounts), showing transaction and balances for the last 30 days to prove you can't fund the removal costs yourself

There is currently no save functionality on this form. Please be prepared to complete the form in one session.

If you need help you can:

We process, analyse and use your data in a range of ways to better understand what our customers need and to improve the way in which the council delivers your services.

Find more information about how we use your data in our privacy and data notice.