Changes you need to tell us about if you claim benefits

You need to keep us up to date about changes to your income, rent, the people living with you and other things that affect the benefits you get

Changes in circumstances

If you don't tell us about changes, you could:

  • miss out on benefits you should be getting
  • get too much benefit, which we'll then ask you to pay back and you may be prosecuted
You need to tell us about these changes using our online form or by email or writing. Don't rely on anyone else to tell us.

Tell us if:

  • your Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit changes
  • you move, even if you move to a different room in the same property
  • a child leaves school or leaves home
  • you have a baby
  • your child either starts or stops being cared for by a registered childcare provider
  • you return to work after receiving benefit for a period of illness
  • your rent changes
  • you or your partner will be away from home for two weeks or longer
  • you receive a decision from the Home Office
  • anyone starts to receive a Carer's Allowance for looking after you
  • you change the bank account we're paying your Housing Benefit into
  • you inherit money or property from a will
  • anyone moves into or out of your home
  • anything changes from the information you gave on your claim form

You must also tell us if you or anyone living with you:

  • has a change of income
  • has a change in savings of £150 or more
  • gets a job, changes their job or takes on more than one job
  • goes to prison
  • becomes a student or starts a Government Training Scheme
  • goes into hospital or a nursing home
  • moves out of your home

This is a list of examples. There may be other changes you need to tell us about that are not listed.

You can find out more about how we calculate Council Tax Reduction