Changes to Housing Benefit

Universal Credit has now been introduced across Brighton & Hove for people of working age. Find out if you can still apply for Housing Benefit

Apply for Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a monthly payment introduced by the government to help with your housing and living costs.

Most people who are of working age will now need to claim through Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit.

You can make a claim for Universal Credit on the Department for Work and Pensions website.

You may also need to do this if you already claim benefits and your circumstances have changed.

You still have to apply for Council Tax Reduction through the council.

Apply for Housing Benefit

You can still apply for Housing Benefit if you:

  • are over state pension age
  • live in supported housing
  • already receive Housing Benefit and move within Brighton & Hove

There are other criteria you should check before you apply.