Apply for a discretionary payment

If you already claim benefits and need extra help to pay your Council Tax, home removal costs or rent in advance, our discretionary payments could help

Getting extra help

Discretionary payments can provide extra money if we decide you need more help to meet your housing costs, including:

  • a rent or Council Tax shortfall
  • home removal costs
  • paying rent in advance

Who can apply

You can apply for a discretionary payment if you need extra help with rental costs or Council Tax and you're currently claiming any one of:

  • Universal Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Reduction

If you apply, we'll look at your circumstances and decide whether to give you a discretionary payment, how much you'll be paid and how long you'll receive the payment.

How to apply

You can apply for each discretionary payment online by using the buttons at the top of this page.

You can also download and print a paper copy of each form:

To send us a completed form or ask about your application, contact us by: