We are currently operating a waiting list for processing mutual exchange applications to manage the high demand. This in place of our online mutual exchange application process. To register a mutual exchange enquiry, send an email to MutualExchange@brighton-hove.gov.uk. Your enquiry will be added to our waiting list in order of the date received. We'll contact you once your application is ready to be processed.

Applying as the lead tenant

Log into your Housing Customer Online account to check you don't owe any rent and make sure all your information is up to date. You can create an account here if you don't have one.

As the lead tenant, you're responsible for letting all the other parties know that we'll send them a link to complete their sections of the application.

When all parties have completed their sections, we'll have received the exchange application. We'll then review the information provided and make a decision within 42 calendar days.

Email addresses

For the lead tenant part of the application, you'll need to provide a contact email address for:

  • one of the people moving into your current address
  • one person from each of the other properties involved in the exchange, even if they're outside of Brighton & Hove
  • each person over 18 years old who is moving with you to your new address

We'll send each of them an email with a link to their section of the application.

Supporting documents

You'll also need to upload supporting documents for this application.

Proof of your identity can be a scan or picture of one of the following:

  • passport
  • driving licence
  • birth certificate
  • marriage or civil partnership certificate

Proof of your current address can be a scan or picture of one of the following:

  • tax credits
  • benefit award letter from the DWP
  • wage slips from the last three months
  • Post Office book from the last three months
  • bank statement from the last three months
  • Council Tax bill from the last three months
  • utility bill

If you have children living with you or moving with you to your new address, you'll also need to upload proof of:

  • each child's birth certificate
  • all child benefit received for each child