Help with alcohol or drug misuse

What to do if you or someone you know has a problem with alcohol or drugs. This is sometimes called substance misuse.

Where to get help

Your GP can talk to you about any worries you have, and suggest ways you can support yourself. They can also refer you to other local services.

If you’re over 18 years old and live in Brighton & Hove, our health trainers can give you one to one advice and support about alcohol misuse. Fill in the online support form or phone 01273 294 589.

If you’re under 18 years old and live in Brighton & Hove, you can get free, confidential help from ru-ok? or phone them on 01273 29 39 66. 

Adults can get advice and support about alcohol or drug misuse from The Brighton and Hove Recovery Service. They also offer support to families and carers of those struggling with alcohol or drug misuse. Phone them on 01273 731 900.

Back on Track

Back on Track can help families where a parent is drinking too much alcohol get the help they need. 

More information 

Find other local support about alcohol and drug use on our Health and Adult Social Care directory.

To find out what the safe drinking guidelines are, visit drinkaware. You can also take an online alcohol self-test to find out if you’re drinking a safe amount. 

Search for NHS recommended apps, on the NHS Apps Library.

Get information and advice on alcohol during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak from Alcohol Change - including tips for managing your drinking, links to support you can access even while self-isolating, and guidance for professionals.