Pay for your care and support at home

The cost of care and support depends on the care provider, the type of care you need and how much money you have.

About financial assessments

If you can get care and support from us, we’ll offer you a financial assessment. This is to see if you can get help towards the cost of your care. You can choose not to have a financial assessment but you’ll then have to pay the full cost of your care and support. 

If you have more than £23,250 in savings, you’ll pay the full cost of your care and support. The council can help you arrange your care, but there is an additional charge for this.

If you have less than £23,250 in savings, you may have to pay some, or all of the cost of your care and support. How much you pay depends on your financial situation and the outcome of the assessment.   

How much you will have to pay towards your care and support

The amount you pay depends on:

  • your income
  • your savings
  • how much you spend on certain housing and other costs
  • whether you own property 
  • the level and type of care and support you need

If you’re already paying for your care and support, and your savings are about to fall below £23,250, you can ask Adult Social Care for an assessment. You might be able to get help towards the cost of your care. 

Get help to pay for your care

If you or someone you care for needs care and support, you could get benefits to help with the cost, even if you have savings. Check you're getting the correct benefits.

Paying for care and support when you live at home

If you receive care and support at home, the value of your property is not taken into account while you still live in it. If you’re not living in your home, the value of your property is usually taken into account in the financial assessment. 

Complete an online financial assessment to find out how much you have to pay towards your care and support. This assessment is a guide, and the amount you pay may change depending on your circumstances.

Find out about charges for care and support services when you live at home, and the charging policy for care services.

More Information

Find out how to get independent financial advice.

If you have a long-term complex health need, you could get free social care arranged by the NHS. This is known as NHS continuing healthcare.

Find out about paying for residential care if you own a property.

Find out about paying for residential and nursing home care.