Support at home

Support at home from a carer or personal assistant is known as home care. Support from other places like charities and support groups is known as community support.

About support at home

Getting support at home can help you:

  • recover from an illness or accident
  • recover from a stay in hospital
  • stay independent
  • give your carers a break

Home care

Home care is support provided in your home by a carer, paid care worker or personal assistant. This helps you stay independent, and gives family and friends support, or a break from their caring responsibilities.

A carer can help you with things like:

  • getting dressed
  • using the toilet
  • washing yourself
  • preparing and eating food

Other types of support

Community support is often provided by other organisations, charities or groups. It can help increase your confidence and independence at home, and when you’re out and about. 

Community support is often in groups or one to one, and can include:

  • learning new skills
  • building your confidence with things like budgeting and using transport
  • getting out and about
  • taking part in leisure and social activities

The length of time you need home care or community support depends on your situation.

How to get support at home

If you want support at home, ask for an assessment from Adult Social Care. After you've had an assessment, we can discuss your options.

If you want to arrange your own support, you don't need to have an assessment.

Instead you could:

More information

Get information about choosing care and support from the Care Choices directory

Find out how to employ a personal assistant on the People Plus website.

Find out how to become an approved personal assistant.