Changes to your home

If you have a disability or a long term illness or health condition, you might benefit from making some changes to your home, adapting it to better meet your needs.

About adaptations

Adaptations can make every day activities easier for you. 

This could be:

  • installing a handrail
  • widening a door
  • installing equipment to help people with a hearing or visual impairment
  • replacing a bath with a level access shower

Find out if you can get help from Adult Social Care.

Major Adaptations

If you need major changes to your home, adaptations likely to cost over £1,000, then Adult Social Care may refer you to the Housing Adaptations Service for  a specialist Occupational Therapist (OT) assessment and recommendations about the type of work that’s needed.

If you own your home, rent privately or are a housing association tenant in Brighton & Hove, you may be able to get help towards the cost of adapting your home by applying for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG). 

Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG)

DFG is a mandatory Housing grant you can get if you need help funding major adaptations to your home.

You can find more information about the grant on GOV.UK.

Find out how to apply for Disabled Facilities Grants in Brighton & Hove.

We’re also currently offering a wider range of grant assistance for meeting the needs of older people, disabled people or families with disabled children and to target accident prevention, relieving fuel poverty and assisting with hospital discharge. 

You can find more information about this in our disabled facilities grant housing policy.

Contact us

If it’s your first time contacting us about changes to your home, you can get more information or request an initial assessment by sending an email to or phoning 01273 295 555.

If you've already been referred to the Housing Adaptations Service and had confirmation of this from us, send an email to or phone 01273 292 443.

If you’re at the grant application stage or want to know more about this, send an email to or phone 01273 294 366.

For information about how we use your data, you can view the Housing adaptations grant application privacy notice.