Apply for care and support

We could help you get care and support to improve your daily life.

About care and support

Care and support is the term used to describe the help you need to live a healthy and independent life.

Getting care and support can include getting help with:

  • cooking and eating
  • getting up, washing and dressing
  • keeping your home and garden clean and safe
  • socialising
  • your money
  • caring for your family

It can also include emotional support, and help for people who care for an adult family member or friend.

What care and support you could get

There are different types of care and support. Depending on your personal situation, this could include:

  • information and advice
  • equipment or adaptations to help you at home 
  • devices to call for help and keep you safe
  • help from a carer
  • help to get out and about
  • support to move to more suitable accommodation, like extra care housing or a care home 

Find out if you can get help from Adult Social Care.

If you need help to express your views and wishes, find out how an advocate could help you

Other services that can help

If you have concerns about your mental health, contact your GP.

If you're in hospital, speak to the ward staff before you're discharged. They can tell you which services you could get and refer you to the hospital social work team if needed.

Find local organisations and services that support your wellbeing on our Health and Adult Social Care directory.

Register as Deaf or hard of hearing

If an audiologist at a hospital or hearing test centre has diagnosed you hard of hearing or Deaf, you can register your diagnosis with Brighton & Hove City Council.

Please send a copy of your audiogram to Brighton & Hove City Council, Health and Adult Social Care, 2nd Floor Bartholomew House, Bartholomew Square, Brighton, BN1 1JE. We will then send you a registration card.

More information

Find out more about the Care Act on GOV.UK.