Changes to your home

If you have a disability, illness or health condition, you might benefit from a change to your home. These changes are often called adaptations.

Changes to your home in British Sign Language

About adaptations

An adaptation is a change to your home that makes life easier for you. 

This could be:

  • installing a handrail
  • widening a door
  • installing equipment for people with a hearing or visual impairment
  • replacing a bath with a level access shower

Adaptations are free, if all three of the following apply:

  • you live in a property owned by the council
  • you have a physical disability, mental health condition or illness
  • you have difficulty undertaking normal daily activities

If you own your home, rent privately or are a housing association tenant in Brighton & Hove, you may be able to get help towards the cost of adapting your home.

Find out if you could apply for a disabled facilities grant.

Housing currently offer a wider range of assistance to help with housing repairs and adaptations, find out more in our disabled facilities grant housing policy

If it’s your first time contacting us about a Disabled Facilities Grant, please send an email to 

If you've already contacted access point and your adaptation has been referred or is ongoing then please send an email to

For information about how we use your data, you can view the Housing adaptations grant application privacy notice.

How much adaptations cost

Adaptations that cost:

  • less than £1,000 (minor adaptations) are free for people who we’ve assessed as eligible
  • more than £1,000 (major adaptations) may be funded or part funded by the council

Complete our online self assessment to check if you can get an adaptation.

Get help choosing adaptations

If you own or rent your home, the Mears Home Improvement Service can help choosing adaptations and housing options.