Temporary event notice privacy notice

Read our privacy notice for information on how we collect, store and process your data.

The council is the data controller for purposes of the Data Protection Act (2018) and EU General Data Protection Regulation as of May 2018 and is registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).

Brighton & Hove City Council are committed to protecting your personal information. As a data controller we have a responsibility to make sure you know why and how your personal information is being collected in accordance with relevant data protection law.

Purposes and lawful basis of processing

We are collecting your data for the purpose of processing your temporary event notice. As the notice incurs a fee we will also need to process your financial information. A notice will be issued, unless an objection is received which may result in a counter notice. If an objection is made your notice may be heard by the Licensing Committee. Your contact details may also be used for communication purposes. There may be occasions where it is necessary for enforcement action to be taken, in which case your information will be used to support that action.

We have a legal obligation to process your personal information, specifically working within the Licensing Act 2003.

Who we will share your data with

Your data may be shared internally with Environmental Protection, Democratic Services, Legal Services, and Councillors. We may also share your information externally with the Police. We are also required to enter your name, licensable activity being carried out and the premises address on to the public register. 

How long we will hold your data (retention)

We will hold your data for 6 years from when the event ended.

Transferring data outside the European Economic Area

Your information is not processed outside of the European Economic Area.

Your information rights

Under GDPR you have certain rights concerning your information. For further information on your rights visit privacy and data on our website

How to get advice or make a complaint 

Data Protection Officer 

If you have a concern about how we collect or use your personal data you can contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer.  

How to make a complaint 

We aim to resolve all complaints about how we handle personal information. You also have the right to make a complaint about data protection to the Information Commissioner's Office.  

Contact them by post: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF or phone 0303 1231 113. 

You can also make a complaint or find out more information on the Commissioner's Office website

If your complaint is not about data protection, find details on how to make a complaint about a council service