Public Space Protection Orders Consultation Privacy Notice

Read our privacy notice for information on how we collect, store and process your data.

We are committed to protecting your personal information.

The council is the data controller for purposes of the Data Protection Act (2018), and The General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (GDPR), and is also registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).

As a data controller, we have a responsibility to make sure you know why and how your personal information is being collected. This is according to relevant data protection law.

The primary laws which govern how Brighton & Hove City Council collects and use personal information (known as data) about you are:

Why we collect your data

We are seeking views on introducing Public Space Protection Orders concerning the use of single-use disposable barbecues, and the release of lanterns and balloons outdoors in Brighton & Hove.

To inform the decision making, we are seeking the views from residents, businesses and other stakeholders across the city. We are collecting some personal information to understand where people are responding from to help inform future decision making.

Our legal basis for collecting your data

GPDR Art.6 (C) compliance with a legal obligation under S.3 Local Government Act 1999

GDPR Art. 9 (2) (g) substantial public interest under Data protection Act 2018 Schedule 1 Part 2 (8) (1) equality of opportunity or treatment and under Section 1 (1) Equality Act 2010

Who we share your data with

We will not share your information with any other third party, unless we are under a legal obligation to do so.

How long we will keep your data

We will hold your data until Environment, Transport & Sustainability Committee has had the opportunity to consider the feedback from the consultation and make decisions about introducing Public Space Protection Orders concerning the use of single-use disposable barbecues, lanterns and balloons. A decision will be made following the end of the consultation period, after which your data will be deleted.

Personal data will not be shared with the Committee.

Any unnecessary personal data provided in the consultation responses, will be deleted.

How we store your data

We will store your information on electronic databases, document management systems and on paper records.

How we protect your data and keep it secure

Examples of the security measures we use are:

  • training for our staff, making them aware of how to handle information securely, and how and when to report when something goes wrong
  • we use encryption when data is being sent, meaning we scramble information so other people can’t read it without access to an unlock key
  • where possible, we will pseudonymise your data. This means we will remove your identity so the people working with your data will not know your identity

Controlling access to systems and networks allows us to stop people who are not allowed to view your personal information, from getting access to it.

Regular testing of our technology and ways of working, including keeping up to date on the latest security updates (called patches).

Transferring your data outside the United Kingdom

Your data is not processed outside of the United Kingdom.

Your rights

Check your rights in relation to your personal information

How to get advice or make a complaint 

Data Protection Officer 

If you have a concern about how we collect or use your personal data you can contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer.  

How to make a complaint 

We aim to resolve all complaints about how we handle personal information. You also have the right to make a complaint about data protection to the Information Commissioner's Office.  

Contact them by post: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF or phone 0303 1231 113. 

You can also make a complaint or find out more information on the Commissioner's Office website

If your complaint is not about data protection, find details on how to make a complaint about a council service