Pest control service request privacy notice

Read our privacy notice for information on how we collect, store and process your data.

The council is the data controller for purposes of the Data Protection Act (2018) and EU General Data Protection Regulation as of May 2018 and is registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).

Brighton & Hove City Council are committed to protecting your personal information. As a data controller we have a responsibility to make sure you know why and how your personal information is being collected in accordance with relevant data protection law.

Purposes and lawful basis of processing

We are collecting your data for the purpose of removing pests from commercial and residential buildings. Information will be used to provide this service, including using contact details for communication purposes in relation to the work that needs to be carried out.

As the service incurs a fee, financial information will need to be processed.

If we carry out work on council land our lawful basis for processing data is due to a legal obligation, specifically the Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949. If work is to be carried out on non-council land, the lawful basis will be performance of a contract.

We may also process special category data, and when we do it’s because we have a substantial public interest, specifically the Data Protection Act (2018), Schedule 1, Part 2, Paragraph 6 ‘statutory etc. and government purposes.’

Who we will share your data with

Your data may be shared internally with Housing, Premises Team, Finance, City Parks, City Clean and other regulatory services. We may also share information externally with landlords and, if necessary, one of the council’s contractors.

How long we will hold your data (retention)

We will hold information for 6 years from our last contact with you.

Transferring data outside the European Economic Area

Your information is not processed outside of the European Economic Area.

Your information rights

Under GDPR you have certain rights concerning your information.

Check your rights in relation to your personal information.

How to get advice or make a complaint 

Data Protection Officer 

If you have a concern about how we collect or use your personal data you can contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer.  

How to make a complaint 

We aim to resolve all complaints about how we handle personal information. You also have the right to make a complaint about data protection to the Information Commissioner's Office.  

Contact them by post: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF or phone 0303 1231 113. 

You can also make a complaint or find out more information on the Commissioner's Office website

If your complaint is not about data protection, find details on how to make a complaint about a council service