New premises licence application privacy notice

Read our privacy notice for information on how we collect, store and process your data.

The council is the data controller for purposes of the Data Protection Act (2018) and EU General Data Protection Regulation as of May 2018 and is registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)

Brighton & Hove City Council are committed to protecting your personal information. As a data controller we have a responsibility to make sure you know why and how your personal information is being collected in accordance with relevant data protection law.

Purposes and lawful basis of processing

We are collecting your data for the purpose of issuing premises licences or club premises certificates. In order to process your application we must receive the following pieces of information:

  • plan of the premises
  • designated Premises Supervisor (unless licensed for late night refreshment only or club premises)
  • event Management Plan (If large scale event or time limited event)
  • proof of right to work (if applying as an individual)
  • club rule book (for club premises certificates only)

As an application for a premises licence or club premises certificate incurs a fee, we will also need to process your financial information. Successful applicants will be issued a licence or certificate, which will be recorded on our systems, however, some applicants may have their application heard by the Licensing Committee. Your contact details may also be used for communication purposes. There may be occasions where it is necessary for enforcement action to be taken, in which case your information will be used to support that action and licences or certificates can be revoked or suspended.  

We have a legal obligation to process your personal information, specifically working within the Licensing Act 2003. Processing special category data is done so under substantial public interest, specifically the Data Protection Act (2018), Schedule 1, Part 2, Paragraph 6 ‘statutory etc. and government purposes.’

Who we will share your data with

Your data may be shared internally with Planning, Child Services, Public Health, Health & Safety, Democratic Services, Legal Services and councillors. We may also share your data externally with the Police, East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service, Home Office, Health & Safety Executive, other relevant authorities. We will also add your information to the licensing public register.

How long we will hold your data (retention)

We will hold your data for the length of time you hold a licence plus 6 years. If your application is unsuccessful, or should you surrender your licence, or your licence is revoked, we will hold your data for 6 years from the date of that decision.

Transferring data outside the European Economic Area

Your information is not processed outside of the European Economic Area.

Your information rights

Under GDPR you have certain rights concerning your information.

For further information on your rights visit our website.

How to get advice or make a complaint 

Data Protection Officer 

If you have a concern about how we collect or use your personal data you can contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer.  

How to make a complaint 

We aim to resolve all complaints about how we handle personal information. You also have the right to make a complaint about data protection to the Information Commissioner's Office.  

Contact them by post: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF or phone 0303 1231 113. 

You can also make a complaint or find out more information on the Commissioner's Office website

If your complaint is not about data protection, find details on how to make a complaint about a council service