The council is the data controller for purposes of the Data Protection Act (2018) and The General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 ("GDPR") and is registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) under registration number Z5840053.
Brighton and Hove City Council are committed to protecting your personal information. As a data controller we have a responsibility to make sure you know why and how your personal information is being collected in accordance with relevant data protection law.
Purposes and lawful basis of processing
- We are collecting your data for the purpose of supporting your family and children. We have a lawful basis for processing this data under the lawful basis of Performance of a task carried out in the public interest (Data Protection Act 2018 schedule 3, part 3 para 8; Working Together to Safeguard Children statutory guidance July 2018)
- Special category data is being processed under the lawful basis of Substantial Public Interest (DPA 2018 schedule 1, part 2, para 18 &19)
Who we will share your data with
- Your data may be shared with other relevant professionals within the Council or with associated organisations or service providers such as education or health.
- The council operates shared services with Surrey County Council and East Sussex County Council. may share your information with one of these partners if necessary to provide these services
- Your data may be used to contribute to the National Evaluation of the Troubled Families programme. For more information on this please see our Troubled Families service privacy notice
How long we will hold your data (retention)
We will hold your data for according to the Retention Schedule for the Families, Children and Learning Directorate.
Transferring data outside the European Economic Area
Your information is not processed outside of the European Economic Area.
Your information rights
Under GDPR you have certain rights concerning your information.
Learn more about your information rights
How to get advice or make a complaint
Data protection contacts
If you wish to discuss any of your data protection rights, you can contact the Data Protection Team on 01273 295959 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact the council's Data Protection Officer
Whilst we would prefer that you contact us first with any concerns that you might have, you can also contact the Information Commissioner’s Office. The ICO is the national regulator with responsibility for ensuring compliance with data protection.
Information Commissioner’s Office
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. Contact details for the ICO is stated below:
You can contact the ICO:
- on their website
- by telephone: 0303 123 1113
- by post: Wycliffe House, Water Ln, Wilmslow SK9 5AF
This Privacy Notice will be subject to review when there is a change.