Cityclean privacy notice

How we use your data, our policies and how you can request your personal information.

We are committed to protecting your personal information.

The council is the data controller for purposes of the Data Protection Act (2018), and The General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 ("GDPR"), and is also registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).

As a data controller, we have a responsibility to make sure you know why and how your personal information is being collected. This is according to relevant data protection law.

The primary laws which govern how Brighton & Hove City Council collects and use personal information (known as data) about you are:

Why we collect your data

We collect your data for delivering part our refuse and recycling service. Information will only be collected if you:

  • report a missed collection
  • order new bins or boxes
  • report a problem
  • request a bulky waste collection (including electrical equipment)
  • request a garden waste service
  • apply for an assisted collection
  • apply for Clinical waste
  • make a general enquiry or give feedback about a service we provide

Our legal basis for collecting your data

Personal data activity Legal Basis - GDPR UK Legislation

Reporting missed collection

Request our trade waste disposal services;

Make a general service enquiry, comment or complaint; or,

Request a collection of a bulky item (NOT for re-use)

Apply (and prove eligibility) for an assisted collection

Apply for additional waste capacity

Garden Waste

Art.6 (1) (e) in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller S45 Environmental Protection Act 1990
Order new, additional or replacement waste containers, report missing or damaged containers

Request a collection of a bulky item (for re-use)

Payment for one of our services

Art.6 (1) (e) in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller

S46 & S47 Environmental Protection Act 1990

S55 Environmental Protection Act 1990

S55 Environmental Protection Act 1990 and The Controlled Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2012

Clinical waste Art.6 (1) (e) in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller

S45 Environmental Protection Act 1990

The Controlled Waste Regulations 2012

The Hazardous Waste Regulations 2015

What data we collect from you

Personal data

  • full name
  • address
  • email address
  • telephone number
  • payment details

Who we share your data with

We will make your information available to those who need to know, so they can perform their council role.

For clinical waste collection service, your information will be shared with Medisort in order for them to deliver the service.

For Bulky waste collection service, this is processed on behalf of the council by KSD in order for them to deliver the service.

We may lawfully disclose information to public sector agencies to prevent or detect fraud or other crime, or to support the national fraud initiatives and protect public funds under the Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014. 

How long we will keep your data

We will retain general information for 5 years as specified in Code of Practice on Records in accordance with the s46 Freedom of Information Act 2000.

How we store your data

We will store your information on electronic databases, document management systems and on paper records.

How we protect your data and keep it secure

Examples of the security measures we use are:

  • training for our staff, making them aware of how to handle information securely, and how and when to report when something goes wrong
  • we use encryption when data is being sent, meaning we scramble information so other people can’t read it without access to an unlock key
  • where possible, we will pseudonymise your data. This means we will remove your identity so the people working with your data will not know your identity

Controlling access to systems and networks allows us to stop people who are not allowed to view your personal information, from getting access to it.

Regular testing of our technology and ways of working, including keeping up to date on the latest security updates (called patches).

Transferring your data outside the United Kingdom

Your data is not processed outside of the United Kingdom.

Your rights

Check your rights in relation to your personal information.

How to get advice or make a complaint 

Data Protection Officer 

If you have a concern about how we collect or use your personal data you can contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer.  

How to make a complaint 

We aim to resolve all complaints about how we handle personal information. You also have the right to make a complaint about data protection to the Information Commissioner's Office.  

Contact them by post: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF or phone 0303 1231 113. 

You can also make a complaint or find out more information on the Commissioner's Office website

If your complaint is not about data protection, find details on how to make a complaint about a council service