Building legislation (The Building Act 1984 and The Building Regulations 2010 (as amended)) requires Brighton & Hove City Council to keep records of any person that deposits or has an application deposited on their behalf for proposed building work that is subject to the Building Regulations. 

Who processes my data? 

The information that you provide with the Building Regulations application will be processed by Brighton & Hove City Council, which is the data controller for the purposes of the EU General Data Protection Regulation and any legislation passed by the UK Parliament supplementary to this. 

What is my data used for? 

The information provided including any personal data will only be used to assess your Building Regulations application.

Who sees my data? 

The Building Regulations applications are closed and as such no personal data is uploaded to the council's website. 

We will keep your data for 15 years after the completion of your project. Your information will not be shared unless, for example, there is a need to pursue formal enforcement of Building Regulations matters, or where any criminal proceedings require us to do so.   

The information you provide will only be used for the stated purpose. You can find further information about the processing of your data on the data protection page. Individuals have a number of rights under data protection law, including the right to request their information. 

Your rights 

You have a legal right to be provided with a copy of your data upon making a subject access request 

If you have concerns that the council has handled your data other than in accordance with the terms of this statement, you have a right to insist that the council restrict this further processing pending an investigation and provision of an explanation to you. 

If you wish to exercise either of these rights, you can contact the Data Protection Team by:

The council also has a Data Protection Officer (DPO) in common with East Sussex County Council and Surrey County Council.  If you wish to be referred to the DPO, the Data Protection Team can refer you. 

You also have a right to make a complaint about our handling of your personal data to the Information Commissioner's Office: