Benefits - enquiry about Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction privacy notice

Read our privacy notice for information on how we collect, store and process your data.

The Council is the data controller for purposes of the Data Protection Act (2018) and UK General Data Protection Regulation and is registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) under registration number Z5840053.

Brighton and Hove City Council are committed to protecting your personal information. As a data controller we have a responsibility to make sure you know why and how your personal information is being collected in accordance with relevant data protection law.

Why we are processing your data

  • We are collecting your data for the purpose of providing Welfare and Benefits services.
  • We have a legal basis for collecting this data through our statutory obligation under the Welfare Reform Act 2012.
  • We also collect data to enable us to exercise specific obligations in the field of social security and social care.
  • Your data may be shared internally within the council. It may also be shared with external organisations for the purposes of tax collection, provision of social care and to prevent fraud.
  • To make sure that it delivers its functions as efficiently as possible; this Council may share your information with one of its local authority partners, namely Surrey County Council, East Sussex County Council etc., with whom it operates a shared service arrangement.

Your information rights

Under GDPR you have certain rights concerning your information.

Check your rights in relation to your personal information.

How to get advice or make a complaint 

Data Protection Officer 

If you have a concern about how we collect or use your personal data you can contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer.  

How to make a complaint 

We aim to resolve all complaints about how we handle personal information. You also have the right to make a complaint about data protection to the Information Commissioner's Office.  

Contact them by post: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF or phone 0303 1231 113. 

You can also make a complaint or find out more information on the Commissioner's Office website

If your complaint is not about data protection, find details on how to make a complaint about a council service