Animal feed hygiene and standards complaint or query privacy notice

Read our privacy notice for information on how we collect, store and process your data.

The council is the data controller for purposes of the Data Protection Act (2018) and EU General Data Protection Regulation as of May 2018 and is registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).

Brighton & Hove City Council are committed to protecting your personal information. As a data controller we have a responsibility to make sure you know why and how your personal information is being collected in accordance with relevant data protection law.

Purposes and lawful basis of processing

We are collecting your data to respond to your complaint or query in relation to animal feed hygiene and/or standard matters. If necessary, your information may be used to support any investigations and may result in being used in legal action.

Our lawful basis for collecting and processing your personal data is under legal obligation, specifically within The Animal Feed (Composition, Marketing and Use) (England) Regulations 2015 and The Animal Feed (Hygiene, Sampling etc. and Enforcement) (England) Regulations 2015.

Sometimes it’s necessary to process special category data and our lawful basis for doing so is substantial public interest, specifically the Data Protection Act 2018 Schedule 1, Part 2, Paragraph 12 ‘regulatory requirements relating to unlawful acts and dishonesty etc.’.

Who we will share your data with

Your data may be shared internally with Legal Services.

Your data may also be shared externally with:

  • Food Standards Agency
  • Veterinary Medicines Directorate
  • Animal Plant and Health Authority
  • Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs

How long we will hold your data (retention)

We will hold your information for 6 years from when the business is no longer in operation. Information is kept for one year from date of contact should there be no further action from your complaint or query. 

Transferring data outside the European Economic Area

Your information is not processed outside of the European Economic Area.

Your information rights

Under GDPR you have certain rights concerning your information.

For further information on your rights visit our website.

How to get advice or make a complaint

Data protection contact information 

If you’d like to discuss your data protection rights, you can contact the Data Protection Team. Only use these contact details if you have questions about data protection and not for questions about other services. 

We also have a Data Protection Officer. Visit our data protection officer page to find their contact details. 

Please contact the Data Protection Team first if you have any concerns. 

You can then contact the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). The ICO is the national regulator with responsibility for ensuring compliance with data protection.  

Information Commissioner’s Office

You also have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. Contact details for the ICO is stated below:

You can contact the ICO:

  • on their website
  • by telephone: 0303 123 1113
  • by post: Wycliffe House, Water Ln, Wilmslow SK9 5AF

This Privacy Notice will be subject to review when there is a change.