Green flag parks
navigation and tools
in 'Parks & Open Spaces'
You are here: Home | Enjoy | Parks & Open Spaces | Green flag parks
Green Flag Award Winning Parks
The Green Flag Award scheme was designed to raise the standard of public parks and green spaces in England and Wales by recognising and rewarding the best examples in the country. For 2010-11, Brighton & Hove was awarded six flags for:
- Easthill Park – Green Flag page
- Hove Park – Green Flag page
- Preston Park – Green Flag page
- Kipling Gardens – Green Flag page
- Stoneham Park – Green Flag page
- St Ann's Well Gardens – Green Flag page
Since 1998 Brighton & Hove's parks and green spaces have been successfully competing in the prestigious annual Green Flag Awards.
We have entered our winning parks again for the forthcoming year. Judging takes place over the spring and summer, and we will find out in the autumn if we have been successful.
What makes a Green Flag Park ?
The Green Flag Award is judged on the following key criteria:
A welcoming place
- The overall impression for any member of the community - regardless of the purpose of their visit - should be positive and inviting
Healthy, safe and secure
- The park/green space must be a healthy, safe and secure place for all members of the community to use
Clean and well maintained
- For visual as well as health and safety reasons, issues of cleanliness and maintenance must be adequately addressed
- Methods used in maintaining the park/green space and its facilities should be environmentally sound
Conservation and heritage
- Attention should be paid to the conservation and appropriate management of landscapes, wildlife, fauna, buildings and structural features
- The park/green space management should actively pursue the involvement of members of the community who represent as many park/green space user groups as possible
- There should be good provision of information to users, about management strategies, activities, features and ways to get involved. The park/green space should be promoted as a community resource
- A management plan or strategy should be in place; this should clearly address all of the above criteria. A financially sound management of the park/green space must also be demonstrated
Contacts and useful links
To find out more about the award, please go to the Green Flag website
If you have visited any of our Green Flag Parks why not let us know what you think? contact Cityparks telephone (01273) 292929.