Reduce your waste
navigation and tools
in 'Your city'
You are here: Home | Your city | Recycling, refuse & street cleaning | Reduce your waste
Reduce your wasteThere are many simple ways to reduce your waste. By following the simple reduce, reuse, recycle method you can save money and help the environment.
- Composting page - get more information on composting and order reduced priced composters and wormeries
- Love food hate waste page - get advice on reducing your food bill, making food go further and last longer
- Reusable nappies page - get information on reusable washable nappies and order reduced priced reusable nappies
- Reduce, reuse and recycling links - find out organisations that can help you reduce, reuse, or recycle your waste from garden waste to VHS tapes.
- Charity and community reuse schemes - get more information on local charity or community reuse schemes.
Reduce reuse recycle
This means reducing the amount of the earth's resources we use.
Consider what you are buying, is it necessary, could you reuse something you already have or borrow something from someone else? This could range from not buying food which is then wasted to having a broken electrical item fixed rather than buying a new one.
This means not just throwing items away and instead reusing them or passing them on for someone else to reuse.
Before you dispose or recycle items consider if you could reuse them or if someone else could reuse them. This could range from refilling a plastic drinks bottle or reusing cans as small seed pots to swapping items with friends or buying and selling second hand items.
The means making materials into something new.
A large number of materials can be recycled either in the black recycling boxes, at recycling points across the city or at the two recycling centres. Before throwing anything away consider if you could recycle it instead. This could range from composting your food waste to using you local recycling centre to recycle old electrical items.
Get involvedAttend our Waste Advisory Group or Community Waste Forum and help have your say about waste in the city and how your community deals with it.
Information and products to help you reduce your waste
Go to our composting page to see how easy and cheap it is to get composting. We have reduced cost, council subsidised composters and wormeries which enable you to compost down anything from egg cartons to meat bones.
Go to our Love food hate waste page where you can get advice which will save you money when you shop for food, get tips on quantities and portions of food and find information on how best to store your food.
Go to our reusable nappies page where you can get information on fully reusable and washable nappies. You can also find links to suppliers of nappies, linings and accessories for the 'real' nappies.
Go to our recycling and waste links where you can find information about recycling and refuse services other than those supplied by Brighton & Hove City Council. These include:
- recycling and refuse information
- local recycling services
- recycling and refuse collection companies
- recycled products
- things to help you recycle at home
- relevant government departments, documents and legislation
Join the debate and get involved
Add us on Facebook - get our latest news and join in discussions
Follow us on Twitter - ask us any questions and get mini updates
More information and how to contact us
|More information||Contact us|
|Refuse main page|