Black box recycling
navigation and tools
in 'Your city'
You are here: Home | Your city | Recycling, refuse & street cleaning | Black box recycling
Black box recycling
The black box recycling scheme is used by over 80 per cent of properties across Brighton & Hove. Each crew collects from around 800 properties every day. This means that all the recycling crews collect from a total of around 12,000 properties every day!
- Check your recycling day - view all recycling and refuse service information for your property
- Let us know if your recycling has been missed
- Request black recycling boxes (these come with nets)
- Request a net - nets attach permanently to the side and stretch over the top of the box, we now have these instead of solid plastic lids
- Report recycling or refuse left out early or all the time
- Check our recycling faq
For more information on the service please see our video, advice or popular questions below.
How to use your black box recycling service
What you can recycle in your box
|Materials you can mix together in you box|
|Cans, tins and aerosols (washed and empty aerosols with lids removed)|
|Cardboard (flattened to fit in box)|
|Paper (including directories and windowed envelopes - with or without the plastic window)|
|Plastic bottles (washed and squashed)|
|Materials which must be completely separated using a bag or box|
|Glass bottles and jars (washed with lids removed)|
|Household batteries (in a clear bag, by or on top of your box)|
Find out about manufacturers responsibilities, and how you can report problems to trading standards about waste packaging problems.
Where to put your box
Ensure a collection by placing your boxes on or by the pavement, at the front of your property, the night before your day of collection or by 6.00am on the day. Please then remove your boxes from the pavement after collection to stop them blowing away or litter being dropped in them.
If you are elderly, disabled or are for any other reason unable to put your box by the pavement for collection please fill in our report form. We can then discuss setting up a collection service from an area best for you.
- How long does it takes to get a new black box or recycling net?
- Has your street only had the mixed recycling or glass taken?
- Have we collected your recycling in a refuse truck?
- What happens to your recycling after it is collected?
You can see more questions and answers on our recycling faq.
Join the discussion and get involved
Add us on Facebook - get our latest news and join in discussions
Follow us on Twitter - ask us any questions and get mini updates
More information and ways to contact us
|More information||Contact us|
|Refuse main page|