navigation and tools
This service is for those who know they need to apply for permission - if you are not sure, please see the 'Do I need permission?' page.
Anyone with a prospective development proposal is strongly encouraged to seek early advice. There is no charge for this service. Please note we do not normally consider amendments to applications submitted without pre-application advice.
For small scale proposalsThis includes:
- All householder developments (extensions, conversions, lofts, windows, porches, garages and outbuildings, swimming pools, walls and fences, hardstandings and access for vehicles, satellite dishes).
- Small scale commercial developments (shopfronts, extensions up to 49sq m, change of use, alterations)
- Any works to listed buildings
- Demolition of buildings in conservation areas
- Certificates of lawful development
See a planning officer at Hove Town Hall (please make an appointment), or discuss your proposals over the phone. Visit Informal pre-application advice - small developments and call the Duty Planner on 01273 292222.
For larger scale proposals (Minor and Major developments) (This includes both new build and change of use)
‘Minor Development’ includes:
- Creating/altering 1-9 residential units, or sites less than 0.5 hectare site area. This includes any change of use that results in new units of accommodation.
- Non-residential development of 50-1,000 square metres floor space, or up to 1 hectare site area.
‘Major Development’ includes:
- Residential - 10+ units (including change of use) or 0.5+ hectare site area.
- Non-residential - 1 000+ square metres floorspace or 1+ hectare site area.
This is a written pre-application advice service and will include support from specialists and meetings where necessary. The quality of the advice we give depends on the quality of the information you can share with us. The information you should submit is set out in the pre-application advice form.
We will discuss with you any further information we need to assess your proposal. According to your needs, our advice may include:
- Local knowledge of planning policies, guidance and previous history.
- Advice on the procedure and consultation.
- Informal and without prejudice officer comments on the scheme, including an opinion on the outcome of a planning application.
Send hard copies of the pre-application advice form and any supporting documents to the following address:
Development Control, Hove Town Hall, Norton Road, Hove, BN3 3BQ.
A case officer will be allocated to you once we have received the pre-application advice form and further information, and they will contact you to make an appointment (if appropriate). See our pre-application advice for major developments page for more information.