navigation and tools
in 'Your council'
You are here: Home | Your council | Council & democracy | Scrutiny
Scrutiny is a key part of the council's decision making process. The Committees and the Review Panels aim to add value to the council services that you use by:
- Developing and reviewing policy
- Monitoring performance
- Holding the council, its partners and external agencies to account
The Scrutiny team at Brighton and Hove City Council is formed of two committees:
- The Overview and Scrutiny Committee:
- This co-ordinates overview and scrutiny work in the council.
- It is responsible for setting up Scrutiny Review Panels and directly scrutinises decisions and services relating to place, communities, resources and finance.
- The committee is also the designated Crime and Disorder Committee (as required under the Police and Justice Act 2006) for the city and undertakes the scrutiny of flood and coastal erosion plans (as required by the Localism Act 2011).
- The Health and Wellbeing Overview and Scrutiny Committee (HWOSC)
- This scrutinises NHS services across Brighton and Hove.
- It is one of the statutory consultee bodies for major changes in local health provision.
- The HWOSC has responsibility for scrutinising children's and adult social care services in the city, sharing the role with the relevant policy committees.
- The HWOSC also carries out a lot of its work through workshops and scrutiny review panels.
The Centre for Public Scrutiny (CfPS) has more information about scrutiny nationally.
Scrutiny Review Panels: How do we Scrutinise?
For information about scrutiny review panels please use the links below:
How to contact the Scrutiny Team
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone us: (01273) 291084
Write to us at: Scrutiny Team, Room 128 King’s House, Brighton & Hove City Council, Grand Avenue, Hove, BN3 2LS
Follow us on Twitter at @BHScrutiny to suggest topics for review, find out about our meetings, contribute to review panels, or tell us what you are up to.
The Scrutiny Team produces an annual report each year.
- 2011/12 Scrutiny Annual Report [PDF 396kb]
- 2010/11 Scrutiny Annual Report [PDF 1.02MB]
- 2009/10 Scrutiny Annual Report [PDF 614kb]
Brighton and Hove City Council’s Scrutiny Team has won two national awards for its scrutiny work.
In 2011 we won the Centre for Public Scrutiny’s Innovation award for our work looking at ‘Adaptation to Climate Change’.
In 2012 the team was very proud to win the Centre for Public Scrutiny’s Innovation award for the second year running, for the Traveller scrutiny panel.