Children's sensory needs service
navigation and tools
in 'Social services'
You are here: Home | Social services | Sight & hearing difficulties | Children's sensory needs service
Sensory needs service
For visually and/or hearing impaired children
The Sensory Needs Service (SNS) is part of the council's provision for both hearing impaired and visually impaired children. The service is staffed by a team of teachers who all hold additional specialist qualifications in hearing impairment and/or visual impairment.We also have an Educational Audiologist, a Family Support Worker and a Mobility Officer. The primary role of the service is to support Visually Impaired (VI) and Hearing Impaired (HI) children in Brighton & Hove's schools. The Hearing Support Facility at Bevendean Primary School is an integral part of our service.
The basic philosophy of the service is to enable children to reach their potential and to take their full place in society.
Find out more about what we do:
How to contact us
Brighton & Hove Children and Young People's Trust
Sensory Needs Service
19, Boundary Road
telephone: (01273) 293610
fax: (01273) 293611
New after school club for hearing impaired children aged 4-7 years
Our new After School Club for Hearing Impaired children aims to provide an opportunity for children to meet and play with their hearing impaired friends. There are activities for children and a chance for parents / carers to chat over refreshments.
Find out about Time Out! after school club here.
Springboard is a fortnightly playgroup for hearing and hearing impaired children to attend with their hearing and/or hearing impaired parents. It is an opportunity for parents to talk/sign while their children play together. Find out more about Springboard.
Useful related websites
For Hearing Impairment:
- The National Deaf Children's Society: www.ndcs.org.uk
- Action on Hearing Loss: www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk
- AMAZE - an organisation that supports families of children with special needs in Brighton and Hove: www.amazebrighton.org.uk
For Visual Impairment:
- The Royal National Institute for the Blind: www.rnib.org.uk
- The National Blind Children's Society is a charity providing information, advice, support and services to blind and visually impaired children: www.nbcs.org.uk
- The National Blind Children's Society provide custom-made large print books tailor made and produced in the fint size and format to suit the individual child's eye condition: www.nbcs.org.uk/customeyes
- 'Look Sussex' is a charity created by parents of children with a visual impairment, offering support and advice to families: www.looksussex.co.uk
- The Blatchington Court Trust supports young people with a visual impairment: www.blatchington-court.co.uk
- Bradford Schools Online have a useful website via which you can buy resources for visually impaired children https://schools.educationbradford.com/schools/CMSPage.aspx?mid=1896#Useful_Links