navigation and tools
in 'Your city'
You are here: Home | Your city | Sustainable building design | Sustainability Checklist
All residential planning applications involving new builds and conversions within Brighton & Hove require a completed Brighton & Hove sustainability checklist.
When you complete the sustainability checklist using the online tool a pdf document of your completed checklist will be automatically generated. This must be attached to your planning application when it is submitted online using the planning portal. If you are sumbitting a non-electronic application you must include one printed copy of the PDF document of your completed checklist.
Planning applications which do not include a completed PDF version of the sustainability checklist cannot be registered.
Find out more
- using the new Brighton & Hove sustainability checklist
- facts and misconceptions around sustainable buildings
Using the new Brighton & Hove sustainability checklist
The new Brighton & Hove sustainability checklist is now available. The checklist is designed to be completed and submitted online, it includes information to help you.
Once you have started to complete a checklist you will be able to save your changes. You can then go back to the checklist and continue to add information or make changes until you are ready to submit.
The checklist provides a guide to delivering sustainable development in Brighton & Hove. The checklist includes links to supporting information that will help you complete it. Some pages link to external websites – Please note that the council does not accept liability for errors caused by use of externally hosted software, and it remains the responsibility of the applicant to check that the report produced by any external site is accurate.
We recommend that you start to use the checklist as early as possible in the development process. It will take time to complete the checklist.
Help and support
- You can download our simple step by step Sustainability Checklist guide [PDF 296kb]
- You will need an email address to use the online checklist. Free computer access and help to use the internet and set up an email account is available in our libraries
- our customer centre in Hove can provide help no how to access the checklist
- Training on completing our sustainability checklist can be arranged if needed. For further details please email email@example.com or call (01273) 292352 / 292246.
- If you do not have access to a computer to complete the checklist or have difficulty getting to the city direct office in Hove Town Hall and/or a library we will take reasonable practicable steps to help you and address your needs. We will aim to respond to your request within 20 working days. Please call (01273) 292352 / 0486 or write to Brighton & Hove Sustainability Checklist, Hove Town Hall room 414, Norton Road, Hove BN3 3BQ.
Facts and misconceptions around sustainable buildings
The sustainability checklist contains links to useful design advice. You can also download our factsheet [PDF 476kb] which aims to dispel some of the common misunderstandings around designing for sustainability.