Council tax - Student reductions
navigation and tools
in 'Your council'
You are here: Home | Your council | Council tax | Council tax - Student reductions
Council Tax - Student reductions
Apply for a reduction in council tax
Council tax bills are charged to households or ‘dwellings', not individuals. If your household has some full-time students, the household may be eligible for a council tax discount. If everyone in your household is a full-time student, the household may be eligible for complete exemption from council tax.
Download our leaflet about Students and Council Tax [PDF 159kb] for more information.
If you’d like to apply for a student discount or exemption for your household, please use the on-line form below. In completing this application form, you will need to provide the details of everyone in the household, including those who are not full-time students.
Further help and information
If you have any queries about applying for student reductions you can contact us for further information by the following methods:
- by e-mail (we aim to reply in 5 working days) firstname.lastname@example.org
- by phone between 8.30am and 5pm Monday to Friday (except public holidays) (01273) 291291
- by minicom between 8.30am and 5pm Monday to Friday (except public holidays) (01273) 290111
- by post write to Council Tax, Brighton & Hove City Council, PO Box 2929, Brighton, BN1 1PS
- by fax (01273) 291881
- Call into Brighton Customer Service Centre, Bartholomew House (opposite Brighton Town Hall), Bartholomew Square, Brighton, BN1 1JE (map). Open Monday to Friday 8.45am - 4.30pm (except public holidays). Please note you cannot make payments in person at Bartholomew House.