navigation and tools
in 'Your city'
You are here: Home | Your city | Environment | Animal welfare
Animal WelfareThe Animal Welfare Team offer advice and practical help to pet owners, as well as enforcing all animal welfare legislation, including: intervening in cruelty cases, picking up strays, animal licensing, investigating dog attacks and dog fouling issues.
Dogs and the Law
There are important laws and bylaws that all dog owners should follow.
- Dog fouling is prohibited in all public areas, including: parks and green spaces, roads and pavements and sports fields and beaches. Owners are required to pick up after their dogs, and failure to do so could result in a fine of up to £1,000. See the related Dog Control Order 1 Fouling of Land [PDF 27.1kb] for more details.
- Owners must ensure that their dogs are collared, and tagged with their contact details. If your dog is not tagged, you could face a fine of up to £5,000
- Dogs must be kept on leads on all roads and pavements. See the related Dog Control Order 2 Keeping on lead [PDF 25.4kb] for further details. Dog Control Order 3 Putting on a lead by Direction [PDF 17.0kb]
- Dogs are not permitted in the following areas: cemeteries, children's play areas, certain city-centre squares and parks and certain city-centre memorial gardens and parks. For further details see the related Dog Control Order 4 Exclusion from Land [PDF 24.3kb]
Report a Lost Dog
Please use our lost dog report form to report a missing dog to the Animal Welfare Team. An Officer will contact you if the dog is found.
Alternatively, you can report this to the Contact Centre on (01273) 292929. The following information will be required: colour, breed, name, where it was lost, whether it was collared, tagged or micro-chipped.
Our Officers work between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. If your dog goes missing outside of these times, then please contact our out-of-hours company, K9, on 07827 967 088.
Report a Found Dog
To report a dog that you have found, please use our found dog report form. An officer will contact you to arrange collection.
Alternatively, you can report this to the Contact Centre on (01273) 292929. As much information about the dog as possible will be required.
Our Officers work between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. If you find a dog outside of these times, then please contact our out-of-hours company, K9, on 07827 967 088.
An Animal Welfare Officers or K9 will then contact you about collecting the dog.
The Professional Dog Walkers Code
The Professional Dog Walkers Code of Conduct is a voluntary scheme which promotes the highest standard of best practice amongst dog walking companies, operating within the district of the city. View The Professional Dog Walkers Code[PDF 10KB].
Animal Welfare Charter
The Animal Welfare Charter reflects the concerns of local people with regards to the welfare of animals, cruelty, neglect and mistreatment. You can view our Animal Welfare Charter [PDF 75kb] here.
Animal Boarding and Pet Shop LicensesYou can find application forms for Animal Boarding Licenses, Pet Shop Licenses and Licenses to Breed Dogs, on this section of our website.
Other Useful Contacts
- RSPCA for all animals (01273) 554218
- Dogs Trust (01273) 452576
Sussex Police for dogs 0845 6070999
For further information, help and advice, contact the Animal Welfare Team on:
Telephone: (01273) 292929 or 292446
Typetalk: 18001 01273 290000