navigation and tools
You are here: Home | Life | Housing Benefit & Council Tax Reduction | Advice agencies
I am looking for advice
If you claim or want help with your rent and council tax,t you may find some of the advice agencies and websites below useful.
The Brighton & Hove Information Prescriptions website also lists organisations that can assist with financial and benefits advice.
Working 50 plus - The Cornerstone Community Centre, Church Road, Hove
A local support network that offers help for people aged fifty and over to get back into work.
Please note the above link will take you to an external website.
Advice - Brighton & Hove
A comprehensive directory of local independent advice agencies and national advice helplines. The site includes location maps and links to online self-help
- Website: Advice - Brighton & Hove
Age UK Brighton & Hove - 29-31 Prestonville Road, Brighton BN1 3TJ.
- Tel: (01273) 720603
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: : http://www.ageuk.org.uk/brightonandhove
- Opening times: Monday - Friday 10am - 4pm
Brighton Housing Trust (Housing Advice Enquiries) - Community Base 113-117 Queens Road Brighton, BN1 3XG.
- Tel: (01273) 234737
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.bht.org.uk
- Legal Housing Advice - Dropin Monday, Tuesday Wednesday, Friday, queue from 9.15am to 12.30pm
- Brighton Advice Centre- Monday to Friday 9.30am to 12.30pm and 1.30pm to 4.30pm
Brighton Unemployed Centre Families Project - 6 Tilbury Place, Brighton, BN2 0GY
- Tel: (01273) 671213/601211
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.bucfp.org
- Opening Times: Monday to Thursday 10.30am to 1pm & 2pm to 4pm. Friday 2pm to 4pm.
- Lunch served at 1pm during weekday
Brighton & Hove Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) - offering free, confidential, impartial and independent advice on managing your finances, including opening bank accounts, problems with bank accounts, benefit overpayments, council rent arrears, budgeting and general debt problems.
- Hove Town Hall, 1 Tisbury Road, Hove, East Sussex, BN3 4AH
- Drop-in advice times (held at the CAB offices at Hove Town Hall): Mon - Fri: 9.15am - 11.15am
- Appointments: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday: 1pm - 4pm
- Drop-in & Appointments: Tuesday 5pm - 6pm (for people working full time)
- Telephone advice times (01273) 223951 : Mon, Wed and Thurs: 9.30am - 12 noon & 1pm - 3.30pm. Tues and Fri: 9.30am -12 noon only.
- Fax: (01273) 223950
- Website: www.brightonhovecab.org.uk
GOV.UK Benefits Adviser - what benefits are you entitled to?
Many people are missing out on benefits and tax credits by not knowing that they may be entitled to them. The Benefits Adviser is an online questionnaire to help you find out which benefits and tax credits you and your family may be entitled to. No personal information is required. The Benefits Adviser tool is provided by GOV.UK, the UK Government’s public services access website: https://www.gov.uk/benefits-adviser
Disability Advice Centre - Montague House, Montague Place, Brighton BN2 1JE
- Tel: (01273) 296 747
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Opening times: Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm
- Website: www.bhfederation.org.uk
East Sussex Credit Union is a not-for-profit savings and loans co-operative focusing on the needs of those on low incomes. The credit union offers easy-to-access savings accounts and affordable, flexible loans. It is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority with savings 100% guaranteed by the FSA Compensation Scheme.
- Address: Community Base, 113 Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XG
- Help Point (held at Community Base): Mon-Fri 10am - 3pm
- Tel: (01273) 234 858 Mon-Fri 10am- 4pm
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: http://eastsussexcu.org.uk
Housing Options Team, Brighton & Hove City Council, Bartholomew House, Bartholomew Square, Brighton BN1 1JP
- Tel: (01273) 294400 - Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: Housing Options Team webpage
- Opening Times at citydirect centre, Bartholomew Square: Monday to Friday 9.00am to 4.30pm
- Tel: 0845 6060234
- Textphone: 0845 6055 255
- Opening Times: Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm
Money Advice & Casework Support (MACSS)- 24 Old Steine, Brighton, BN1 1EL
- Tel: (01273) 664000
- Advice Line: (01273) 664040
Monday, Wednesday & Thursday 10am - 12 noon, Tuesday & Friday 2pm - 4pm
- Fax: (01273) 664001
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.macss.org.uk
- Opening Times: Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
Private Sector Housing Services - Brighton & Hove City Council, Hove Town Hall, Environmental Services, Norton Road, Hove BN1 3BQ
- Tel: (01273) 293156 9am to 5pm
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: Go to Private Sector Housing webpages
- Opening Times at Citydirect centre, Norton Road Hove: Monday to Friday 8.45am to 4.30pm
- City Direct - Hove: 01273 292424
Refugee Council - UK registered charity offering information and advice to asylum-seekers and refugees.
- Tel: 0808 808 2255
- Textphone/Minicom: 0808 808 2259 (for people with speech or hearing difficulties)
- Opening hours: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays: 9.30am – 1pm and 2pm – 4.30pm. Wednesdays: 2pm – 5pm only.
- Children's Panel advice line: 0207 346 1134 open Mondays to Fridays: 9.30am – 5.30pm. Works directly with children as well as giving advice to those involved in their support.
- Website: www.refugeecouncil.org.uk
Royal British Legion Sussex County Welfare Team is part of the legion's extensive Poppy Support services. If you are serving, have served or are the dependent or carer of someone who has served in the UK's Armed Forces, then you are eligible for help. The welfare team can offer financial aid in an urgent crisis, help homeless ex-service people get back on their feet, advise on compensation claims, offer careers advice for those looking to make a fresh start after leaving the Forces, arrange home or hospital visits, advise on coping with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and much more.
- Address: The Royal British Legion Sussex, Roy Ford House, 4D Burrell Road, Haywards Heath, RH16 1TW
- Tel: (01444) 441470
- Contact details: www.britishlegion.org.uk/counties/sussex/contact-us
- Website: www.britishlegion.org.uk/counties/sussex/how-we-can-help
- Royal British Legion Benefits and Money Advice Service:
Shelter - Free, independent advice and information on housing to help you understand your rights and options.Website:
St Lukes Advice Service - 18 Exeter Street, Brighton, BN1 5PG
- Tel: (01273) 549203
- Fax: (01273) 549201
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.stlukesadviceservice.org.uk
- Opening Times: Monday, Wednesday and Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 10am - 1pm
Sussex Interpreting Services - Community Base, 113-117 Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XG
- Tel: (01273) 702005
- Fax: (01273) 234787
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www. sussexinterpreting.org.uk
University of Brighton Student Advice Service - Moulscoombe Site, The Tithe Barn, Moulsecoomb Place, Brighton
University of Sussex Students Union Advice & Representation Centre - 1st Floor Falmer House, University of Sussex
Youth Advice Centre (YAC) - 65 Blatchington Road, Hove, BN3 3YJ,
- Tel: (01273) 889292
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: Youth Advice Centre webpage
- Opening Times: Monday - Friday 3pm to 6pm & Saturday 11am to 2pm
Sussex Central YMCA Housing Advice - 2nd floor, Ovest House, 58 West Street, Brighton, BN1 2RA
- Tel: (01273) 828828
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Opening times for 18-25 year olds: Monday – Friday 9am – 12 noon
- Opening times for 16 and 17 year olds: Monday – Friday 1pm – 4.30pm
- Website: www.sussexcentralymca.org.uk
If you need information or advice on a legal problem go to www.clsdirect.org.uk to find your nearest qualified legal adviser and use a legal aid eligibility calculator.
- For a money makeover, budgeting advice, a useful budgeting tool and ways to make your money go further visit: www.moneysavingexpert.com
- For the Money Saving Expert section on Housing Benefit visit: www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/housing-benefit