navigation and tools
Latest news! Please spare 30 seconds and 7 clicks of the mouse to support our application to become an internationally recognised Biosphere
This is your portal to discovering all about the Brighton & Hove and Lewes Downs Biosphere Project. Become a friend of the Biosphere
What on Earth?
The Biosphere is the world in which we live and share with other living things - the zone of life around our planet – for which UNESCO (the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) is developing a global network of Biosphere Reserves which promote a balanced relationship between people and nature. These are real world-class natural environments, rather than the popular image of artificial glass domes!
International Biosphere Reserves have three Functions:
- Conservation - of landscapes, ecosystems, species and genetic diversity at both a regional and global scale.
- Development - economic and social development which is culturally and ecologically sustainable.
- Knowledge – environmental education, research and training to test and demonstrate innovative approaches to nature conservation and sustainable development.
Why on Earth?
The benefits of achieving international Biosphere status include:
- An integrated framework for conservation and sustainable development policies and initiatives, including linking up urban and rural areas
- Heightened profile of attaining a world-class brand, enabling increased marketing and funding opportunities
- Opportunities to attract and create new private and social sector enterprises and jobs , such as environmental industries and eco-tourism
- A driver of best practice in environmental management and development planning
- Scope to foster a stronger sense of community awareness, identity and pride in the local environment, including mainstreaming this in education
- Encouraging applied research by local universities as centres of excellence to address environmental conservation and sustainable development challenges
- Knowledge transfer encouraged through the international networks opened up
Who on Earth
This is a partnership through several organisations working together to achieve Biosphere Reserve status.
Find out more information on the project, including a wealth of information about your local Biosphere and all the latest events happening around it through the official website.
More information and ways to contact us
|More information||Contact us|
|Sports booking main page|